Love is in the air, and you are looking forward to spending some quality time with your sweetheart, as well as indulging on some Valentine treats? Dental News would like to remind you of some Valentine’s Day Dental Tips to keep your teeth shining.
- Cross your fingers for chocolate on the big day! Solid chocolate (the ones without chewy or sugary center) don’t tend to stick to the teeth like more chewy treats too, making them better for your oral health. In fact, dark chocolate is an even better option, as it contains less sugar than milk chocolate!
- Hard candies, especially suckers, are popular on Valentine’s Day but basically give teeth a real thorough sugar bath.
- Although candies that are sticky, sweet and sour may hold a special place in our hearts, we must remember how dangerous they can be to our teeth and even braces too. These hard or gummy candies tend to be acidic to your teeth, causing the enamel that protects them to be worn down. Instead, why not give your loved one flowers, a card, or even a romantic dinner at home?
- When it comes to chocolate, choose a high quality brand that is preferably 50% or more cocoa as it is more pure and free of additives that can hurt your teeth.
- We definitely recommend much softer treats such as peanut butter cups or other melt-in-your-mouth doughs.
LOVE YOUR TEETH TOO
- After you indulge, make sure to show your teeth some tender loving care. Brush and floss between the teeth, around the brackets, and at the gum line.
- Don’t forget that your tongue carries bacteria too and needs to be brushed from the back to the front just as often!
- Replenish your teeth with high alkaline foods such as vegetables that will keep them strong.
- Be sure to drink water and practice a good, thorough hygiene routine afterwards!
- Check in regularly with your dentist.
Credits: Dental NewsPosted on